Director applications for December 2018 are now OPEN
Directors work closely with high school students from all over China. After writing a background guide on two pressing issues in world affairs, you'll travel to Shanghai to guide the delegates in your committee, working to address challenges like renewable energy, food shortages, access to education, and more. You'll also get evening gatherings and sightseeing trips with your fellow directors. Current first-year undergraduate or graduate students at the University of Oxford are eligible to apply for director positions.
FOR Your delegates
Delegates debate current issues and work toward global solutions with fellow committee members. They have the chance to develop their skills of public speaking, negotiation, and diplomacy. At social events, delegates participate in performances, sample the different countries' traditional cuisines, and get to know the other delegates in a spirit of inclusion, diversity, and collaboration.
- Round-trip flights of up to £750, a visa subsidy of £100 and accommodation during the trip are included. Directors will be expected to cover other costs.
- Experience Shanghai through an organised tour before the programme.
- Flight booking flexibility allows you to travel around China before the programme; you are free to book your own flights as convenient.
- Great opportunity for sharing perspectives: over 350 students from various cities in China will attend the conference.
- The conference will take place over 9th or 10th week. The exact dates are yet to be finalised, but are tentatively set for 6-9 December, with a pre-conference tour starting on 3 December. If you are not available in both 9th and 10th week, please let us know in your application.
OXFORD GLOBAL FEE:
Oxford Global is a startup that was founded in Oxford by current students and alumni. We charge a £195 fee for all international programmes in order to cover some of our annual costs. You are expected to make this payment within one week of your acceptance to confirm your place. In exchange, we will provide up to £750 for flights and also cover your accommodation costs during the trip. Unfortunately, we cannot offer any refunds on this fee after you have confirmed your position on the team. Needs-based financial aid is available for those who cannot cover this fee. You can register your interest in financial aid directly on the apply page—doing so will not affect the outcome of your application.
- Write a Background Guide (8,000 words) to cover two interesting and engaging topics for debate.
- Be available for around 4–6 hours of training/team building spread throughout Michaelmas.
- Submit a short bio and a photo for the website and conference handbook.
- Be present and free of other obligations and commitments during conference dates.
- Respond promptly to emails and other communication from the conference management team.
- Monitor a committee email account and respond to queries from delegates.
- Throughout the conference, oversee the work done by the Assistant Directors (ADs) that are assigned to you, in addition to communicating with them prior to the conference.
- Collect and review all work (including position papers) submitted by the delegates in committee.
- Moderate the committee, observing standard MUN rules and procedures, with the assistance of your ADs (we will provide trainings on how to do this).
- By the end of conference, select which delegates should receive awards for their work.
- Attend all conference events.
- Adhere to all conference rules and policies.